Tuesday, March 12, 2013

"Who Cries for the Weeping Angel"



There’s a girl on the corner in a long black coat
That covers the hole from her gut to her throat.

I wouldn’t have noticed, I would have passes by,
But the pain that I saw she spoke with her eyes.

“They say I am forsaken, broken and lost.”
She carries her heart in a cardboard box.

Her voice was like moonlight, disturbingly sweet,
“May I ask you a question? “
My heart skipped a beat.

What seized me with pain was a ghost from the past,
I knew with whom she spoke
I would be the last.

“Someday for this kindness a debt will be paid”,
Her icy fingers on my cheek she gently did lay.

“If I ask you to choose between me and a lie,
Would you give me your heart or leave me to die?”

A tear silently fell: her voice was quite weak,
Leaving a trail of blood down her cheek.

“If I said I choose you. Would your sorrow be gone?
Would it give you the strength and courage to go on?”

“Alas, there’s no heart in my breast to keep beating,
It’s my soul the after-life needs to be greeting.”

For a girl long ago and this sorrowful wretch,
I placed her cold hand over the warmth in my chest.

At that moment, she shimmered, and drifted away,
Rest in peace for a beauty that died on this day

The eerie night whispers: the wind sings a son
You have now been forgiven
 by the one you had wronged.





Who weeps for me, the girl with no heart?
Will you dance in the darkness or tear me apart?

Promise me love and tell me you care,
Rescue me from my heart-wrenching nightmare.

Who weeps for an angel that fell far from grace?
Will you give me a kiss?
Wipe the blood from my face?

Who lays their battered hand on her cold carved stone?
Resting warm flesh above her sweet bones.

Who cries for the wretched finally at peace?
Who gave a damn
when her breath
Finally did cease?

He once said he loved her: once gave her his heart.
Does he regret her madness in which he had part?


Who cries for the weeping Angel?
Buried,
             Dead,
 and
                                                                                                                     Gone.

She’ll whisper in your ear if you sing her a song.





Laura Chowanski   1/26/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment